- Greinke enters with 237 strikeouts. He needs eight K’s to move past Dennis Leonard’s single-season club record of 244, set in 1977. Zack has struck out eight or more in half of his 32 starts.
- His ERA is currently 2.06. He would have to go at least 7.0 innings without an earned run to have an ERA that would round to 1.99 or less. No pitcher in the American League has had that low an ERA since Pedro Martinez posted a 1.74 ERA in 2000 for Boston. In addition, no pitcher has posted an ERA in Zack’s range while throwing at least 220 innings since Martinez (1.90) and Roger Clemens (2.05) in 1997.
- Zack has a good shot to post the best ERA in Royals history. Roger “The Spider” Nelson compiled a 2.08 ERA in 1972.
- Greinke is 4-0 with a 0.43 ERA in his last six starts.
- Zack has held the opponent to zero or one earned run in 18 of 32 starts, including 10 starts with no earned runs allowed.
- His ERA after the All-Star Break is 1.97.
- He had a 1.70 ERA at Kauffman Stadium this season, the best in Royals history.
- Has allowed just 11 home runs in 223.1 innings, an average of 0.44 per nine innings, the best mark by a Royal since Kevin Appier in 1993
- Greinke can reach 17 wins, which would tie Paul Byrd’s total from 2002 as the most in a season by a Royals hurler since Kevin Appier’s 18 in 1993.