Deal making in Vegas
Baseball’s Winter Meetings wrapped up today in Las Vegas, and the Royals had a flurry of activity on the final day. Here’s a recap:
* Kansas City selected pitcher Jose Lugo from the Twins in the Major League phase of the Rule 5 Draft and immediately traded Lugo to Seattle for cash considerations.
* The Royals selected three players in the Triple-A Phase of the draft:
– Right-handed pitcher Luis Ortega, 21, who pitched in the Dominican Summer League for the Washington Nationals two squads in 2008.
– Catcher John Suomi, 28, who split his 2008 season in the Phillies organization between Class AA Reading and Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
– Right-handed pitcher Carlos Arias, 23, who spent 2008 at Class A Mahoning Valley in the Cleveland Indians organization.
* The Royals lost left-handed pitcher Gilbert De La Vara in the Major League Phase to the Houston Astros and right-handed pitcher Russ Haltiwanger in the Triple-A Phase to the St. Louis Cardinals.
* Kansas City’s signed free agent pitchers Horacio Ramirez and Doug Waechter. The left-handed Ramirez is expected to battle for a rotation spot. He made 15 appearances with KC in 2008 before being traded to the White Sox for minor league outfielder Paulo Orlando. Waechter, 27, will be in the bullpen. The righty was 4-2 with a 3.69 ERA in 48 appearances with the Marlins in 2008.
* Minor league outfielder Jordan Parraz was acquired from the Astros to complete the November 24 Tyler Lumsden trade. Parraz batted .289 with 31 doubles, three triples, six home runs, 42 RBI and 82 runs in 2008 for Class A Advanced Salem in the Carolina League. Baseball America ranked Parraz as the Astros prospect with the Best Outfield Arm prior to the 2008 season.