Preview: Draft on Thursday
Last year, it was right-hander Luke Hochevar. In 2005, third baseman Alex Gordon. Before that, Billy Butler (2004) with Chris Lubanski in 2003. And, in 2002, the Royals selected Zack Greinke as their first round pick in the June draft.
So…who will it be in 2007?
Thursday’s First-Year Player Draft begins at 1 p.m. (CT) and will be broadcast live on ESPN2 and mlb.com. The Royals pick second following Tampa Bay and, according to all predictions, there is no clean cut answer as to whom Kansas City will be picking. And, trust us, we’ve asked.
But, if you’ve been keeping up with MLB’s draft coverage, the latest reports have the Royals picking right-handed pitcher Rick Porcello, a high school standout from New Jersey. Of course, that’s after Tampa Bay chooses Vanderbilt’s left-hander David Price.
Here’s how mlb.com sees the top 10 picks panning out:
1. Tampa Bay Devil Rays: David Price, LHP, Vanderbilt University
2. Kansas City Royals: Rick Porcello, RHP, Seton Hall Prep (N.J.)
3. Chicago Cubs: Josh Vitters, 3B, Cypress HS (Calif.)
4. Pittsburgh Pirates: Ross Detwiler, LHP, Missouri State
5. Baltimore Orioles: Phillipe Aumont, RHP, Ecole Du Versant Gatineau, Quebec
6. Washington Nationals: Daniel Moskos, LHP, Clemson University
7. Milwaukee Brewers: Jarrod Parker, RHP, Norwell HS (Ind.)
8. Colorado Rockies: Nick Schmidt, LHP, University of Arkansas
9. Arizona Diamondbacks: Mike Moustakas, 3B, Chatsworth HS (Calif.)
10. San Francisco Giants: Matt Wieters, C, Georgia Tech
For mlb.com’s complete list of first round picks, click here.
How do you feel about these predictions? What would you like to see? Let us know what you think. We’ll do our best to keep you posted as the draft unfolds tomorrow afternoon.