An Afternoon with Frank White at The K

Frank White took advantage of the beautiful spring weather in Kansas City on Wednesday, suiting up and hitting the field while the Royals wrapped up their road trip with a 4-3 extra-inning victory over Detroit.

No, Frank wasn’t taking grounders or running the bases. Img_3206

He was actually doing a series of instructional segments – 10 in all – with a Metro Sports camera crew. The segments, which will be about a minute long, touched on bunting, hitting and, of course, fielding – he is an eight-time Gold Glove award winner, after all. He also taped a 10-minute interview with Royals Vice President-Community Affairs and Publicity Toby Cook on his new role as a Special Advisor with the organization. All the segments will be used throughout the season on the Royals “Blue Crew” and “Royals Insider” shows.

Frank then “hit the showers” – translation: went up to his office – for a couple of hours before coming back down to the field to greet some young ballplayers participating in the first high school game of the 2007 Frank White Classic. Due to a radio interview he did that ran a tad too long, he missed the pregame activities, but still had time to catch up with some of the players down in the dugout.

“I never had a chance to play on a Major League field like this when I was this young,” said Frank, who plans on attending as many of the games as possible. “I’m glad we can help provide this opportunity for these young ballplayers – what a great experience.”

With seven games on the schedule this spring, the Frank White Classic is a program that invites area high school teams to play a game at Kauffman Stadium. In order to have the honor of playing like a big leaguer for a day, each team must sell a required number of Royals ticket vouchers. Img_3207Not only do the high schools earn an opportunity to play on a Major League field, but the school also keeps a portion of the sale as a fundraiser for its baseball program. The game on Wednesday featured Winnetonka (Mo.) vs. Holden (Mo.).

After a couple innings, he headed back up to the Royals front offices to take care of some more business before catching a few more innings and then heading home. All in an afternoon’s work for a Royals Hall of Famer.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 57 other followers

%d bloggers like this: